Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Love Does Not Alter When it Alteration Finds

William Shakespeare's Thoughts on Love:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

I just thought this to be one of the most beautiful sonnets
( I know I'm
not the only one) that describes the lasting
power of love and how sometimes what
we think is
love does not stand the test of time or storms.

Shakespeare argues that then it was never love.
This challenges me to be an ever-fixed mark!

2 comments:

  1. Good on you, alright! Keep your faith in yourself. Others struggle on with less. This is a happenstance meeting but I wish you well in all you are and wish for.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need luck, Caroline, with faith like that... It's interesting that our quest for a calling often means that we miss the process of life itself. If I may make an observation, your desire to see beauty, to see the reflection of God (which is how I understand beauty) in all that is around you is, in itself, a calling. And will influence those around you far more than you'll probably ever know. For what it's worth, I will not wish you luck I will wish you all God's blessings and may you see him reflected in all places and at all times.

    ReplyDelete